Wednesday, June 27, 2012

#2.5 Mission Park Quinology

So a banner on New England Actor was advertising auditions for a series of super hero films. Why WOULDN'T I click it?

What was a little confusing about the auditions is that I had to sign a talent release prior to my arrival. Evidently, the production company planned on making a web series about the audition process for the films.

But wait, which production company? Who had plans to production five films at once, with reportedly 160 roles to fill? Only after I signed up to audition did I decide to do any research.

My talent release credits F.R. Perro, Inc. with production.

The Mission Park movie website links to Perro Worldwide Comics.

All of the movies are based on a comics created by Chip Perro.

Seems like there's a little world living between the lines here, and I don't just mean the alternate universe of Boston-based super heroes.

The PWC site looks a lot like some of my old ZIP disks: museum for a bunch of good ideas that haven't quite come to fruition yet. Rough drawings, a spin-off for a series that hasn't been made readily available to the public. Unlike my Final Fantasy VII fanfiction, though, Mission Park is on its way to achieving something greater.

What threw me off, besides everything else, was that a film with these characters was already made, even though auditions are currently being held to fill those roles. I guess that film was something like a prototype, a pilot. Or they're casting a reboot. You know how super hero movies can be.

Actually, what REALLY threw me off was that the audition would be in Framingham. So I borrowed my roomies' faithful Jetta to make my way to Molly Malone's Irish Tavern at the Framingham Sheraton Hotel.



To one side of Molly's dining area was a reception lounge, complete with armchairs and a fireplace. To one side of the lounge, on the other end of the camera, set up with two chairs, was the audition space. It looked like we'd all be auditioning in front of each other.



Auditions were done in pairs. Basically, every two people who arrived at the front table were made a pair and would read the sides together. I was not as timely as I could have been, and was in the last pair.

I watched every audition. It was quite a diverse crowd, especially in terms of experience. People seemed friendly, but since the camera was rolling there wasn't a whole lot of carousing, so most just watched and grabbed some cheese and crackers from the side table. Yeah, snacks! THAT'S how you hold auditions!



Finally, I read with Curtis. He was cool! We read two sides, switched roles for each, for a total of four reads.

I wasn't sure I showed enough dimensions between all of my reads. The sides were actually pretty cool. A more realistic super hero story, something between Mystery Men and Watchmen.

Afterward, I found out from the producer that the our auditions would be put online. AND THEN, the half that received the most votes online would go on to the next level of auditions. Yeah, it turns out their doing this tourney style.

The voting would only be for leads. Having auditioned, I could be considered for any of the 160 roles across the five films.

If I win, I get a chance at being in five films.

If I don't, I don't have to drive out to Framingham again to audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment