Tuesday, July 7, 2009

#9. Whistler in the Dark

Last week's Stagesource announcements included auditions for Whistler in the Dark's production of IN ON IT by Canadian playwright Daniel MacIvor.

The only characters are two men. Yeah, one of those plays! I've always wanted to be in a one-on-one psychological dramedy.

Scenario
The audition was at the BeanTowne Coffee House in Kendall Square.

I got lost after I got off at the Kendall station, but I ran into a friend, Tai, who pointed me in the right direction.

As coffee houses go, it was very nice.

There I met Whistler founders Meg Taintor and Jennifer O'Connor.

Audition
I did my monologue for Meg. It was tougher than I figured, with the air conditioning going. Also, I got distracted by the huge windows looking out onto the square.

I performed the monologue rather viciously. Meg had me try it again more gently, using Jen as a partner.

It's been a while since I've actually been given direction. It's nice to get some perspective, even in the context of an audition.

Then they had me take a whack at the first monologue in the script. Cold reads are always tricky, especially when the characters' intentions are shrouded in mystery.

The only way I could make sense out of it was to have the end of the play spoiled for me.

I'll tell you, the play sounds really cool, but now I don't know if I'll have as much fun when I finally watch it!

Reflection
The audition notice said that the director would be prepared to work with the monologues of all those auditioning. I was a little weirded out at first - I mean, an audition that isn't totally impersonal? I was getting kind of used to the alienation of it.

It was actually quite nice. I said before that an audition is a free opportunity for a performer to perform. Who says it can't also be an opportunity for a director to direct?



1 headshot remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment